Below are some cooking tips that can make your life in the kitchen easier.
Handy Ingredients to Keep in Stock
Bag of Frozen Onions
Bag of Frozen Peppers
Jar of Roasted Aubergines
Jar of Roasted Peppers
Frozen Garlic or Really Lazy Garlic
Really Lazy Chilli
Jar of Pesto
Easy Replacements to Recipes
Buy ready made burgers
Buy ready made fish cakes
Buy jars of sauce: Bolognese, Carbonara etc…
- Always make stock in large quantities and freeze in plastic bags.
- Cook pasta for one minute less than the package instructions and cook the rest of the way in the pan with the sauce.
- After working with garlic, rub your hands on your stainless steel sink for 30 seconds before washing them. It will remove the odor.
- When chopping herbs, toss a little salt onto the cutting board; it will keep the herbs from flying around.
- For best results when you’re baking, leave butter and eggs at room temperature overnight.
Recipes are only a guideline, not the Bible. Feel comfortable replacing ingredients with similar ingredients that you like. If you like coriander but not parsley, use coriander.
When you’re browning meat, you should blot the surface dry with a paper towel so the meat doesn’t release moisture when it hits the hot oil. Too much moisture makes the meat steam instead of sear, and you will lose that rich brown crust.